St George's House,
Introduction - Home
St George's House, original building and main entrance, Otley Road, Harrogate. Yorkshire, England.
The Aim of this website...
to provide a historical record of the
lives and activities of the orphan
children all of whom came from families
of Police officers, also to make the
information available to anyone who
may be interested, including:
Descendents of the Gurney family.
St George's House Orphans
Families of the St George's boys & girls.
Members of the UK Police Force.
St George's Police Trust.
The general public.
Website launch date September, 2007.
The Orphanage was founded in 1897 by Miss Catherine Gurney, OBE, for the care and welfare of
Police Force children who had lost one or both parents. The children were housed at the Northern Police Orphanage,
located on 12 acres of land on Otley Road, Harrogate from 1898 until they were relocated to Albany Lodge, Hereford Road, Harrogate in 1955. From January 1898 when the first child, Minnie Smith from Sunderland was taken in, until closure in 1956 due to the declining numbers of children in need, a total of 644 children had passed through the doors of St George's (the names of the children cared for can be seen on 'List of Children' page). Refer following page 'Catherine Gurney', for details of her aims and achievements.
1970 Map of Harrogate: showing the location of St George's and St Andrew's.
1878 Map of Harrogate: showing the location of the original St George's College.
The pages (see list top
left), supported by many photographs, tell some of the story of what
life was like for the children living
Email contact: email@example.com