From the Past
From time to
time we will add stories and photos of some of the former old boys/girls
of St George's and their families, along with friends and others who
were associated closely with St George's.
The Elliott family.
William Elliott and his wife Mildred nee Hawkins had four children. One
child died in infancy from influenza. The surviving three children were:
Pearl Elliott born 22.11.1927 (No. 522)
June Elliott born 21.6.1929 (No. 523)
Mildred Elliott born 7.4.1931 (No. 524)
These three girls entered St. George’s, Harrogate
Thomas & Mildred
Elliott Pearl Elliott
June McManus nee Elliott
with Pearl, June & Mildred
(third from left)
Their father served with the Chester le Street Division
of the County Durham Police Force and from 21.12.1929 was stationed at
Ravensworth Colliery County Durham. He retired from the Police Force
10.7.1939 due to ill health (arthritis) and died 22.8.1939 at the age of
35. His wife, Mildred, died in April 1945.
Pearl Elliott left St. George’s in May 1942 and was
placed at All Saints Nursery College, Pannal, Harrogate where she
trained to be a Nursery Nurse.She later took up a position as an
assistant children’s nurse in Green Hammerton, near York. From there
she rose through the nursing ranks and it is believed that she held a
senior position in the North of England for many years. After her
retirement she lived in Ripon and died there 17.3.2009. She never
June Elliott left St. George’s in July 1943 and she too was placed at
All Saints Nursery College, Pannal where she trained to be a Nursery
Nurse. She then returned to St. George’s to work as a Nursery Nurse
until she was 19 or 20 years old, when she left to join the RAF Police
Force. She later married and became Mrs. McManus and she and her husband
had two girls. Her daughter, Nichola Goodman nee McManus, lives in
Chippenham Wiltshire. Nichola’s daughter, Naomi, is a Metropolitan
Police Officer based in Hackney London. June is now 80 and lives in
Bristol. Both she and Nichola hope to attend our 2010 Reunion in
Mildred Elliott (523)
Pearl & Mildred Elliott
Mildred Elliott became very ill when in her teens and
spent her time in the Sick Wing at St. George’s, where she was cared for
by Sister Batty and Dr. Yeoman. She received various treatments for an
arthritic disease at the Royal Baths Hospital in Harrogate, as well as
two major hip operations. After Miss Knocker retired from St. George’s
in 1949, Sister Batty also retired and lived at 18 Skipton Street,
Harrogate. When Mildred left the hospital after her second hip
operation, she went to live with Sister Batty. Her two sisters visited
her there, as well as other old St. George’s Girls. It is thought that
the St George’s Fund financed the purchase of a motorized carriage for
Mildred’s use, which gave her greater mobility and independence. Sister
Batty was getting older and was a little arthritic herself and probably
found that pushing Mildred in a wheelchair was a little too much for
her. The Elliott girls and Sister Batty were very close to each other.
Sadly Mildred died in Harrogate at the age of 31. BMD Ref: Claro (Harrogate)
June Quarter 1962 Volume 2c Page 129.
The Taylor Family
Hilda Archer, formerly
Taylor nee Neilson,
with her family.
Pamela Hilda Taylor,
Reginald James Taylor, 559 (standing)
and Peter Grenville Taylor, 560.
Photo taken in Wellington, New Zealand, circa 1985.
Peter Taylor 560, sister Pamela Taylor and brother Reg Taylor 559
Reg & Peter Taylor in front of their WW2 Anderson air raid
shelter at their home, 88 Hurstwood Rd, Sunderland.
'Policewomen' for a night.
Vera Neilson, 17, (later to
become Vera Taylor, wife of old boy Peter Taylor 560) and her friend Audrey Styles,
19, both of whom used to
work as hairdressers in Muriel Smith's Salon, Albion St, Leeds,
When asked by a Leeds Police Officer if they would sell raffle tickets
at the Leeds City Police Annual Charity Ball, held in 1958 at the Astoria Ballroom, Leeds, they
readily agreed and even dressed for the occasion as 'pseudo' police
women ! We have it on good
authority that a great time was had by all who attended and that a lot of
raffle tickets were sold during the evening.
Vera Taylor nee Neilson
and Audrey Styles.
Photo taken: 1958
Frederick and Clare Robinson.
We have been
contacted by Janet C. Bolton, daughter of Fred & Clare Robinson. She
told us that her father was the one that was given the responsibility of
organising the final closure and sale of St George's Police Orphanage
and subsequent formation of the
Northern Police Orphans Trust. Following is
a brief summary
of his background
Frederick & Clare Robinson
Frederick & Clare Robinson in front of St Andrew's
Robinson was born in Hull in 1902 - he was a theological student and for
two years was Minister at South Cave Congregational Church near Hull. He
was never ordained and decided to leave the ministry and join Halifax
Borough Police Force. Inspector Robinson ( a rank which would be the
equivalent of Chief Inspector today) joined the Force in 1925 and after
a years service was transferred to the Charge Office. He became a
Sergeant in 1933 and again was transferred, this time to the Chief
Constable's office, becoming Chief Clerk and Inspector in 1944.
He has been Chairman for some years of the Force's Joint Branch Board
and also Chairman of the Force's Canteen Committee,
in addition he was associated with the Ryburn Lodge of Freemasons.
Inspector Robinson holds the Defence Medal, Police Long Service Medal,
Good Conduct Medal, Coronation Medal and was later awarded the M.B.E. by
the Queen at Buckingham Palace.
Around 1955 after 30 years service in the Police Force, Frederick
Robinson was given the responsibility of arranging the closing down and
sale of the St George's House Orphanage in Otley Road, the relocation to
Hereford Road and final closure a year or so later. The assets derived
from the sale were formed into the Northern Police Orphans Trust.
Frederick Robinson administered this trust along with the St George's
Fund, in the roles of Secretary and Executive Officer.
Mr F. Robinson was then appointed to the position of Superintendent of
St Andrew's Northern Police Convalescent Home, a position he held for a
period of more than eight years and during that time was ably assisted
by his wife Clare. It was throughout his tenure that the Convalescent
Home was extensively re-modelled and refurnished.
Fred & Clare Robinson decided on retirement that they would remain in
Harrogate " We would not like to live anywhere else but Harrogate, it
has everything we need and all the things we enjoy' said Mr Robinson.
Frederick Robinson was born 9th November, 1901 and after a distinguished
career, died 4th February, 1972.
The Owen sisters.
(272,269 & 270)
photo c1970, was taken on the beach at South Shields and shows
the late: Edith Suggett nee Owen (272), Bertha Oley nee Owen
Irene Howe nee Owen (270).
The father of the three girls was
Police Constable Henry Owen who served
with the South Shields Police Force. The three sisters entered St
in 1918 and it is thought, left when they reached the age of 14.
Bertha was born in 1908, Irene in
1911 and Edith in 1915.
Also shown in the photo is Ian
Woolard son of Edith Suggett's daughter
Photo and information kindly
provided by Gillian Anderson and Ian Woolard.
Gillian is the daughter of Irene Howe, nee Owen.
The Hinson Family
nee Hinson (20)
Charlotte was born on 12th
February, 1889. Her father was James Hinson who served in the Newcastle
upon Tyne Force.
His name appears on the Police Roll of Honour (Northumbria), stating:
Police Constable James Hinson died 22nd August, 1898, aged 41. Injured
stopping a runaway bull and later collapsed and died on duty.
Charlotte Hinson entered St.George's in 1898 and left in 1903
to go into service as a nursemaid with a family in London.
There she met her employer's cousin, John William Smith, who was a
Licenced Victualler. They married in 1910 and their first
child, Charlotte Ellen, was born in 1911. Around September 1913, with
three children all under the age of three, Charlotte Smith and her
husband travelled by steamer to her roots in Tyneside and settled there,
where four more children were born.
Charlotte often spoke to her grandchildren of the time she spent in St
George's and talked also of the Lady Superintendent
Miss Emma Chapman, a lady she had a great deal of affection and respect
Charlotte Smith with her
husband John and two of their daughters
Charlotte & John Smith, taken on 3rd June, 1960,
Irene May and Audrey c 1937
celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary
information provided by Julia Mann, granddaughter of Charlotte Hinson.
The Harland Family
Mary Alice Harland nee
Mary Alice Harland was the
wife of P.C.182 Thomas Harland, who died in 1931.
They had five children, Elsie 417, Raymond 418, Marjorie 419, Bernard
449 and Godfrey 480,
all of whom were cared for by St George's House, Northern Police
Orphanage, see photos below.
See also Police Connections and List of Children pages of this website
for further details.
Photos of Mary Alice
Harland and family were kindly provided by her granddaughter,
Mary Alice Harland nee
photo dated October 1941.
The five children of
Thomas & Mary Harland.
Raymond, 418 Marjorie, 419
Godfrey Harland, (old boy
number 480) and husband of Dorothy Harland, became an expert at tapestry
work in his later years.
Apparently he was taught knitting whilst at St George’s and embroidery
during his stay in Chester Military Hospital, one of his first efforts
was a rendition of The Gunners Royal Artillery Badge. Godfrey went on
to embroider 21 pieces of tapestry all of which are permanently housed
in Leeds City Council Central Libraries. One of the pieces he produced
being the garden of Harewood House, Leeds, this complements the tapestry
produced by The Countess, of the Harewood House building also on display
in the Council Libraries.
examples of Godfrey’s work are shown below. They are works of art and
very well done.
by Godfrey Harland Royal Mail van,
made by Godfrey Harland
The Seddon Family
Thomas A. Seddon (588)
Karen Carrington nee Seddon
(daughter of Tom and Brenda Seddon) after visiting our website,
got in touch with us to say that
she has found a couple of photographs of Tom which she has kindly
supplied to us for use in this article.
Tom Seddon, born in Bolton in 1934, entered St George's September 1946
at the age of 12, after his father, who served in the Mounted Section of
Bolton Borough Police Force, died at the age of 55. Tom attended Harrogate Grammar
School and was still at St George's under Miss Duke Turner when the
orphanage moved to Albany Lodge, Hereford Rd, Harrogate.
Some of you will remember that Tom took part in the Banner of St George
concert and play in April 1948, held to celebrate the 50th Anniversary
of St George's.
Upon leaving the orphanage he did his National Service with the Army
Catering Corps and later operated guest houses in Morecambe and
Blackpool, where he died in December 2006.
Tom and Brenda (deceased) had two children Karen and David (deceased).
Later, Tom married Margaret and they produced a
daughter, Sarah. Following are the two photos.
Brenda & Tom Seddon 1960
Sarah & Tom Seddon 2005
The Geraghty Family
'Geraghty' family reunion
The 'Geraghty' Family have enjoyed a family reunion in Australia to
celebrate the 70th birthday of twins, Pat Mason nee Geraghty and Mary
Spence nee Geraghty.
Brother and sisters,
Jacqueline, Mary, Peter & Pat The family group.
When George Corby, who was
a Police Officer serving in the Sheffield Police Force, died, he was
interred in a churchyard in Empingham, Rutland. His son
Willis Corby (Snr) was admitted in 1913 to St George's, aged 9, child number
208. We have been fortunate to have been provided with some old
family photographs below by David Sargent, grandson of Ada Corby.
The first photograph is of Willis Corby Snr who was born in 1904 in
Sheffield. He worked in the Scunthorpe area in the building trade and
later moved to Loughborough, Leicestershire he died there aged 88, Feb
The second photograph c
1960 is of Ada Corby, mother of David Sargent's late mother, Vera
The third photograph is of son, Willis Corby Jnr, who was born 1 July
1927 in Thome, Doncaster, Yorkshire. He joined the Fire Service and rose
through the ranks to become Deputy Chief Fire Officer in Winterton,
Lincolnshire and died 12 Jan 2005, in Nottingham.
Willis Corby Snr (208)
Ada Corby c 1960
Willis Corby Jnr
Ada & Willis Corby Snr (208)
Willis Corby Jnr with his nephew David Sargent
Two photographs of Willis Corby Jnr Photo taken:
Lake Coniston mid 1960's
The Madew Family
Ralph & Ethel Madew
The following photographs
provided by Kathleen Ince,
nee Madew, for inclusion on the website.
See also Police Connections page for further information about the Madew
Ralph Madew as
a young man.
Wedding of Ralph & Ethel Madew 1916
Ethel Madew, Conway Castle, 1946
Lawrence (382) & Cyril Madew (383)
Ethel Madew (mother of Lawrence & Cyril) who worked in the
Mary Barlow, Olga & Enid.
St George's kitchen for a while, walking arm in arm with Head
Date of photo unknown.
Cook Nellie Cherry. Jean & George Latham (420) are in the
background and Marjory Madew, right foreground. 1972.
Members of the
Helyer family have recently discovered our website and have been keen to
find some of the background details relevant to Albert Helyer 377,
Vincent Helyer 378 (both of whom entered St George's House in 1928) and
Edwin Helyer 405, who entered the Orphanage in 1930. Their elder brother
Jack was deemed to be too old for admission at that time.
We have been supplied with the following photographs for inclusion in
Marie & Albert Helyer with
Edward Walton &
Vincent Helyer with Dorothy Jacqui &
Andrew Helyer (son of Vincent).
Kath Webster, photo taken at the 1976 reunion.
Helyer (Edwin Helyer's
widow) Photo dated 1976
The Millar Family
Eleanor Mary (Molly)
Millar who worked at St George's House around
1952. The second photo is of her son Michael Millar who served with
Royal Engineers, Longmoor Camp, Hampshire.
born 30/8/1927, entered St George’s 26/10/1933 child number 442. He
married Eiry (pronounced Irey) in Christ Church,
Liversedge (known as Liversedge Parish Church), in 1924.
James wrote a detailed story about his experiences
as an orphan and the time he spent at St George's House, this can be
read by viewing the Life at St
George's page on this web site.
James Shepherd 442.
Jeremy Shepherd with his James
& Eiry Shepherd's 50th Anniversary, 2003.
parents Eiry & James Shepherd.
Seated at table, from
Doug & Hazel Drummond (Spain)
Barney Sturt (nephew) and his wife Kate, Josie and husband
Eddy Drummond, Doug Drummond, Peter Robinson with his
wife Margaret Robinson nee Sturt front right.
Standing top right: Margaret Sturt nee Drummond.
When we St George's
walked in crocodile
formation along Harlow Moor Road, towards Duchess Road we would come to
a corner on which was a very old Pine tree with a horseshoe nailed to
it. As we walked under the tree we would all make a wish.
I am sure that the number of wishes would have been huge and varied. Des
Drummond has sent in a recent photo of the tree and although the branch
has been cut off, the horseshoe is still there. Fond memories.. did
anyone get what they wished for ?
The old Pine tree complete with 'lucky' horseshoe
PC Frank Gilbert
Gilbert was a keen boxer who became a member of the Nottingham Police
Boxing Group. He and his wife Emma produced
Frank Gilbert, entered St Georges 1936 child
Peter Gilbert, entered St Georges 1936 child number 479
Dennis Gilbert, entered St Georges 1937 child number 492
Ivor Gilbert, entered St Georges 1937 child number 493
Doris Gilbert, did not enter St Georges
This photo is thought to
be of the Nottingham Police Boxing
PC Frank Gilbert, boxer.
Club, with Frank Gilbert front row, on the right.
The Williams Family.
After leaving St George's House, the three Williams children all
travelled to Canada and made their homes there.
Past & present.
The three Williams children Jean Dougan nee Williams
Tom, Jean & John with a family
Williams (513) with his wife Margaret and their family.
Daughter Sandra, son John and eldest daughter Barbara, all living in
Jean Dougan nee Williams
with her Jean Dougan with
Michelle & Shawn
Glenn Dougan, son of Jean Dougan.
married daughter Ann Bruni.
two of her grandchildren.
The Parkes Family
Charles Parkes & Alice Ann
Elliot were married in 1893. They had four children, two of whom, Evelyn
& Leonard, attended St George's and later travelled to Canada.
Evelyn took with her their family Bible, small cards from the funerals
of her Mother & Father,
Children's Special Service Mission membership cards, from the time she
went to church whilst at St George's and even some preserved flowers
from one of the actual funerals. Evelyn kept in regular touch with Miss
Emma Chapman (Lady Superintendent of St George's House) over the years
until she passed away, she was buried at Grace Anglican Cemetery,
Waterdown, Ontario, Canada.
Charles Arthur Parkes Jnr was born 25 September, 1896 in Keighley,
Yorkshire. He served with the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles and died 9
October, 1927, in Toronto Canada as aresult of wounds received in 1916,
Winifred Belmont Parkes, see photo below, was born in 1900 and died in
Leonard Parkes, served in the US Marine Corps and then the Royal
Canadian Air Force reaching the rank of Squadron Leader. He was killed
in a plane crash 21 April, 1949.
also Police Connections and Educate/religion pages for further details of their family.
Some very old photographs
provided by the Parkes family are shown as follows.
Charles Parkes &
his wife Alice Ann.
Winifred Parkes, died aged 4 years.
Evelyn Parkes with unknown cousin.
Bruce Wetherall son of
Evelyn Garth Wetherall grandson of Evelyn Wetherall
nee Violet Wetherall wife of
Wetherall nee Parkes (119)
Wetherall and mother of Garth
and father of Garth.
Sale of St George's
When local real estate
agents T. K. Kidson & Son were asked to arrange the sale of St George's
House building and land, this was the advertisement that they published,
advising the market of its availability.
The Boschi Family
Old boy of St George's,
Arthur Boschi, has provided the following photos of his children along
with some background information.
Ann Boschi with
her sister Alison Boschi John Boschi
with his sisters Alison
and Ann Boschi.
John Boschi & Ann Boschi, at the
Christopher Miskell with his wife Ann Miskell nee Boschi
Ann Miskell nee Boschi,a retired Bank Manager, is married to Christopher Miskell,
a retired Company Director of his own
Alison Hill nee Boschi
& her husband Phil Hill both served as Police Officers.
John Boschi, served
in the Navy and saw action in the Falklands War, he was mentioned in the
Daily Telegraph for his strength in lifting a torpedo (which normally
takes three men) out of a fire on his ship, HMS Plymouth.
participated in the Earls Court, Fieldgun competition representing
Plymouth Fieldgunners in the role of 'Speedywheel'.
'Speedywheel' has the job of carrying the gun carriage wheel which weighs
120lbs, on his shoulder , sprinting with it when the fieldgun is
carried over a huge barrier, to be then reassembled.
John Boschi is now Area Manager for Poundland, a large retail company in
The Fawcett Family
Some old family photos
have been provided by
Barbara Roberts nee Fawcett (533).
Fawcett with her daughter Barbara and son
Frank Fawcett (532), Kathleen Fawcett, Barbara Fawcett (533) c1942.
Frank, taken in the valley gardens Harrogate c 1940-41
Note the gas mask on the bench and the gas mask strap
over Frank's left shoulder. It was compulsory to carry
them in Britain during the war.
Grandfather Frank Fawcett, Grandmother
Edith Fawcett (nee Temple-Smith), Aunt Edith, unknown
lady, Aunt Annie, James John Fawcett (later to become
father of Frank and Barbara who both attended St George's)
Kneeling: Uncles Frank & Leslie.
Grandfather Frank Fawcett
was born around 1886 in Morton-
on-Swale. He married Edith Temple Smith in 1909 when he
was 23 years old, joined York City Police Force, then
promoted to Sgt on 15 Sept 1923 (after Sgt Pallister
retired) then to Det. Inspector on 18 Oct, 1924.
He retired, due to ill health, on 8 Dec, 1933 and died in
York on 7 May 1936 aged 50 years.
Photo taken in 1925
(James John Fawcett would have been
14 years old at that time) on the bank of the River Swale
at Morton -on-Swale, the iron railway bridge in the
background is now disused and in the distance the A684
can be seen.
The Grist Family
Thomas Robert Grist served as PC in Spilsby, Lincolnshire
in 1911, then in 1921
as a Sergeant in Alford, Lincolnshire, finally serving in Louth,
Lincolnshire where he was promoted to the rank of Inspector. He served
in this capacity up to the time of his death in 1925.Thomas Grist was born in Anwick, near Sleaford and was one of
nine children. At that time his father, Benjamin Grist was a tenant
farmer. Thomas Robert Grist was buried in Sleaford with his mother &
His wife was Rose
Hannah Lee and the marriage took place on 5 September, 1911, in Folkingham,
Lincolnshire, they had two sons, Jack & Dennis.
Thomas & Rose Grist
with their two sons, Jack 368 & Dennis 363
Dennis & Jack Grist with
their mother Rose
Postcard written by Jack Grist to his
The Fawkes Family and
St George's House
Major Frederick Hawkesworth Fawkes became
St George's Chairman of Committees in 1912, a position he carried out
until his death in February 1936. Following on in the family tradition
his role was taken over by his nephew Major Le G. G. W. Horton-Fawkes
until 1937, when he relinquished the position to Major General Sir
Llewelyn W. Atcherly.
Mary, the then Princess Royal and Patron of St George's arriving
Major Le G. G. W. Horton-Fawkes
at St George's with Major F. H. Fawkes to officiate at the opening
Photo taken 1971
new Boys Wing.
Excerpt taken from The Story of St
George’s House, Harrogate. Written by Miss Evelyn Mainwaring Knocker
in 1948. Lady Superintendant 1926-1949
“In February 1936 the news came through
to St. George’s by telephone of the sudden and tragic death of Major
Frederick Hawksworth Fawkes, who had been hunting on Stainburn Moor and
suddenly collapsed on the field. This was a heavy blow for St. George’s.
Major Fawkes had been Chairman since 1912 and President as well since
1931 and had steered and guided St. George’s through many channels, but
always upstream. Many improvements to the building and estate and much
progress for the children’s life and been carried through during the
time of his wise and tactful management of Committee administration.
Moreover many enjoyable Whitsuntide camps had been spent by the Scouts
and Guides of St.George’s on his moors, some even being on the grounds
adjoining Farnley Hall. It is a matter of much congratulation for St.
George’s that the position of Chairman of the Committee still remains in
the Fawkes family and the present Chairman is a nephew of Major Fawkes.
Indeed one of the reasons given by Major Le G. G. W. Horton-Fawkes for
accepting the position of Chairman at the Committee’s request, was the
close association between his family and St. George’s for so many years.
A framed photograph of Major F.H. Fawkes was presented by his sister,
Miss Fawkes, in his memory and hangs in the Hall.In 1937 Major General
Sir Llewelyn W. Atcherley (see footnote) consented to hold the position
of Chairman for a time and in 1939 on his resignation, Mr. G. C. Vaughan
(C. C. West Riding) consented to take on the duties temporarily. In 1944
Major Le G. G. W. Horton-Fawkes accepted the invitation to the
Chairmanship of Committee.”
The Fawkes family had a long association
with St George’s starting in 1912 when Major F. H. Fawkes accepted the
position of Chairman and President as well, since 1931, until his death
in 1936. He was followed by his nephew Major Le G. G. W. Horton-Fawkes
who took over the role as Chairman of Committees a responsibility which
he carried on for many years.
It is not surprising that one of the
three ‘Houses’ at St George’s was named Fawkes, the other two being
Gurney & Ingilby.
Farnley Hall, Otley, Yorkshire - The Georgian Wing built by John Carr
and completed in 1790