St George's House,
The Harrogate Fire Service was regularly called upon to test the emergency procedures and help train and instruct the management and children of St George's House, in case an emergency should occur. With a structure the size of St George's and the number of children & adults residing there it was important that everyone knew what to do if and when the time came.
The North Riding Fire Brigade, Yorkshire.
The firemen and St
George's Boys & Girls running out the fire fighting hoses
and equipment to test
that all was working
The National Fire Service (NFS) was the single fire service created in 1941 during the Second World War and at its peak strength the NFS had 370,000 personnel (full-time and part-time members) of which 80,000 were women.
The NFS was created in August 1941 by the amalgamation of the wartime national Auxiliary Fire Service (AFS) and the local authority fire brigades (about 1,600 of them). It existed until 1948, when it was again split by the Fire Services Act 1947, with fire services reverting to local authority control, although this time there were far fewer brigades, with only one per county and county borough.
Some photographs of fire engines used over the years.